best cheap gtr synth..../role of laptop

best cheap gtr synth-
well you could get a digitech synth wah, it's cheap and works well (for me).
any cheap o multi-effects unit (i currently use digitech rp100 and zoom g2-together)
that can combine a pitchshifting option w/ some type of filtering (envelope, etc)
and use it in conjuction w/ volume pedal works well.
the funny thing is the preset on my g2 that is dedicated as the "gtr synth" sounds nothing like a gtr synth to me.

role of laptop-
well if you're going to tackle this, i think that you'd want to be familiar w/ the different types of cds/music that uses this technology.(and boy i bet there are lots out there)
to me, i think it needs to be divided into, is it an instrument or just a tool for recording?
if its a tool for recording, to me it seems like that is dominated by dance music (which usually uses loops)-and i don't know too much about current dance music. but the thing it offers is easy and portabiltiy--the ex. i remember reading about was creator of 'alias' tv show came up w/ the theme song for show on flight back to US on his laptop-and the theme was that techno-oriented dance style (which i thought sounded cool back in '01)...and i'm sure there are 100s of stories of artists/musicians who work like this and put out music, i just don't know of all/others...
i only know of a few people (and i know there are more, just my limited resources and time)-but the ones who use the laptop as an instrument, from what i've heard, have been jim o'rourke (don't have that album), fennesz, and oren ambarchi....all 3 are guitarists, and 2 albums i've heard of each of the last 2, generally tend to be processed noise, that at times borders on ambient music....which if i were to catagorize, would probably be placed under "experimental"--they seem to be the leading lights of 'underground, small -independant-based labels' (whatever that means)...the other source would to be to look at the mego and touch labels, seems to be lots of folks there.
since there have been lots of 'laptop' threads here, you'll probably want to get the advice of those who use it in their different capacities.
my 2 cents....s----

Yahoo! Mail