Re: Best Cheap Guitar Synth

Kevin wrote:

>> As a processor it's fantastic. It has a built in Square wave fuzz and
>> great raspy raw filter which you can set to sweep fast/slow etc. Also it
>> has an octaver. The catch is it is monophonic for playing lines and
>there
>> is a lot of triggering issues if you don't get it *just* right.
>

> Ooh. Triggering issues.  I am so out of here!  The distortion plus
> filtering solution looks like a good one.
>
> What are folk's favourite filters?

moog moogerfooger low pass filter

If you are going the fuzz+filter route, I'd also suggest adding in
an octave pedal. A cheap danelectro "chili dog" or a boss oc-2 will
really help in getting a synthy sound.

One of my favorite synthy sounds is:
     dano "chilli dog" octave (more or less a boss oc-2 clone) ->
     dano "french toast" octave fuzz (m/l a foxx tone machine clone) ->
     moogerfooger low pass with a pedal to sweep the cutoff
         (though a cheap DOD envelope filter is nice as well)

     Throwing a phaser/trem/chorus in there somewhere is also fun.

     the danos+dod setup is probably ~$150 off of ebay.

Note that the octave pedals are pretty much monophonic, so keep
that in mind.

If I understand correctly, a EH microsynth is basicaly just a
octave->fuzz->filter.

Adrian
http://www.phasmatodea.net