Re: AW: Gear photos (was: Looping shoes)

--- Rainer Thelonius Balthasar Straschill
<rs@moinlabs.de> wrote:

> I think I get why you don't wear any shoes for
> looping - are these big knobs
> on the Headrush and RC-20 for turning the dials with
> your (bare) feet?

Not originally. When I put those on there a few years
ago (2003), I had always played both 1)shoed and
2)standing, but had just started using a non-rack
setup which didn't include a mixer and manipulating
the level knobs was the only way I had of fading my
[fixed feedback] loops in and out without a bunch of
volume pedals. The knobs are actually rubber 'feet'
like you'd use on the bottom of a rack or road case,
and I made labels for them so I could tell the setting
at a glance in dim stage light.

After using that setup for a short time, I was really
missing the mixer, and tore apart the rig yet again.
Then for a while (and I'm sure this is a familiar
situation for many of you) I was in a period where I
still hadn't had time to finish the rack/pedalboard
overhaul but wasn't playing out all that often, so I
was just bringing along a duffel bag full of pedals
and setting up differently each show. During this
time, I also started doing a lot more looping of
ethnic and acoustic instruments, which I generally do
sitting down; prior to this, almost all of my public
looping had been standing and electric.

In the setup in the picture at
<http://www.myspace.com/nimbletunes>, though, I'm
running each looper through its own channel on the
mixer (except the Echopro, which I'm using to
post-process and loop sub-mixes), so I'm not using the
foot knobs at all.

'Rantai' CD: <http://cdbaby.com/cd/timnelson1>
'Mesh' CD: <http://cdbaby.com/cd/timnelson2>
Chain Tape Collective: <http://www.ct-collective.com/>