RE: MySpace Controversy

Ha!  I feel you man.  That's the way I felt in my last band.  We spent a
couple grand recording a CD, and then I could hardly give them away!  I
blamed it on the college "I'm too smart to care about anything" mentality
that saturates so much of this town.  I lost a lot of money on that deal.

Now I'm in a 2-piece thing with a buddy of mine and we have a little
recording setup in his spare bedroom, so we aren't paying studio-time
fees.  And we're using MySpace (myspace.com/opuspi if anyone's interested)
and the like for crazy amounts of promotion (with much more success, I
might add), but life has gotten busy to the place where it's been nearly
impossible to finish recording anything we can sell!  So we've yet to make
a dime.

My theory, though, is that because of MySpace and other tools like it on
the web, it's now possible to actually get to the place where you make a
living from your music without necessarily having to sign your soul over
to Satan... er, ummm... Nashville.  It's going to take a ton of hard work,
creativity, risk, and time that I just don't have at the moment (my wife's
due with our first baby--a girl--in a month), but that's our goal
nonetheless.

The funny thing is that we haven't even recorded enough music for a CD,
and we're gigging way less than I did in my former band, but we've got a
ton more people listening.  And, with the help of e-mail, MySpace, AIM,
etc., we're actually meeting and connecting with our listeners on a
personal level.  To me, that's much more valuable.

--Josh