Re: income (was MySpace Controversy)

Some figures: As a full time tour musician I typically did 140 USD
per gig right into my pocket. Hotel and traveling expenses already
taken care of by the central booking agency. One full month of
touring dough added up reasonably. A one week album studio session
typically payed 1300 USD (before taxes). At a particular session the
record label was almost bankrupt and asked if we hired studio
musicians would accept to work on a cut of eventual future record
sale royalties (the artist was positive sharing his cut - the record
label did not offer to share THEIR cut ;-). I accepted and was not
payed the 1300 in hand. Luckily the artist had a hit with one track
from the album which led to USD 8350 royalty pouring down my mail box
three months later. But that was just the first royalty period, when
the hit was forgotten sales went down and I received almost nothing.
These good figures were just lucky and not at all like the norm. Some
artistes never have a hit and definitely not instrumental acts as
typically represented on this list. To make money you also have to
work within the business, so professional publishers go out to
negotiate your deals with representatives from other territories
where releases are planned. But there is also a lot of trouble coming
with such a "pro" set-up. Personally I did not want to stay in that
situation, so I quit the pro level and started doing other things to
financially back up my musical activities. The good side is that if
you go amateur you can do all the fun and inspiring things... but
rarely make any money ;-)  Some people manage to hang on at a mid
level as indie artists, working with indie labels and since a bunch
of middle-men is cut out there seems to be possible to make more
money in that set-up.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)