AW: EH SMM w/ Hazari

Hi Duncan,

> for instance, it must surely be possible to modify the bypass
> switching so that one still hears the output of the delay &
> looper.... the unit's input would be fed directly to the
> output jacks & not to the inputs of the delay/looper
> circuitry. surely.

Contrary to what Charles said, I guess this is possible because judging
from
the description in the manual, the bypass is a hard bypass. The tricky part
however would be to combine the input signal with the delay's output (you'd
need another pot for that in addition to the wet/dry control. Or perhaps
this is really a signal-affecting knob?)

> & adding expression pedals is simply a case of mounting some
> stereo jack sockets so that an expression pedal replaces one
> of the onboard pots.
> assuming that the pots are mono & around 50k impedance.....
> or one of those bendy things that you work with a pedal that
> replaces the knob.

But this way, you can't have it behave like the DL4 ones, where you have
the
expression pedal in addition to the knobs (not replacing them), and the
pedal can perform the combined function of any of the continuous knobs.
That
would require a) an additional A/D input, b) messing with the DSP/uC code.

> my guitarist has more than enough delay pedals for this not
> to be a problem. he's more likely to complain about the lack
> of midi sync.

True, if you already have a DD20, DL4, Repeater, D2 and bix mixer in your
setup, then most of my critizism is void. But then again, I was thinking
about using the SMM as a standalone solution (as Andy was).

> so.... if you have already established the length of the
> loop, does this switch allow you to drop in & out for tiny
> durations? like a kill-switch?

Unfortunately not, because the switch is used both for tapping and
recording/overdubbing. So any press of less than ~0.5s is interpreted as a
tap.

> this could be fun. but again, wiring up a latching switch
> acoss the existing one would probably fix this, or hooking up

This could work, yes.

> so once the loop's made, it keeps running until you erase it?

No, it keeps running until you switch to bypass. Switching back restarts
the
loop.

> does the unit retain stuff when it's switched off?

No.

> these days, the repeater is the master clock for the entire
> rig (hardware sequencers x2, the jamman, midi clocked delays & so on).

Do you use software v2? Did their improvement on clock stability work?

        Rainer