Re: film music rights, licensing ...OT

Hello Luis,

As a fan of your music, it's great to hear someone wants to use a track of yours as a soundtrack.

Thought Travis H's response was very appropriate -- lots of producers want something for nothing. Very difficult to know their finances...

Hearing a contradiction tho'... if the producer wants "to use it
without financial ties or agreements on my part"
but also wants to send you a release contract, worded I'm sure, extremely in his or her favor.

Is it worth it or acceptable to you (if OK w/ publisher) to send this song out totally free, in hopes of further publicizing your music or CD's?
Is it worth it just to have an assured credit (is it a subject or cause you support)?
Can you write in a trade for services, promotions or something in return?
Does the publisher have a legal dept. that can guide you?

From what I can tell, you have a generous spirit. You may hope that the giving of your track is repaid in some manner... OR not care if it isn't.

I would want, at the least, an "enforcement" wording, about meaningful penalties if credits are not displayed, with each and every showing/ screening/ internet streaming of the work. At least cause the producer to credit you if the music is freely given.

Very curious about outcome  -- hope many LD'ers will share their thoughts as well.

Cheers --

Scott Duncan

myspace.com/scottduncanvideo