Re: film music rights,icensing etc.(OT).

Hi Luis,

I deal with these sort of requests at least once a week, in addition
to never ending requests from theater and dance companies. Here are a
few things to consider...and I don't know your exact situation so
they might not all apply...

TIME
First of all, no matter how simple a license, the time you spend
thinking about it, emailing, negotiating, and drafting up
documents...that is your valuable time lost. If you give your music
to someone for free, it's like *you* are paying *them*. This might be
hard for them to grasp, but imagine if you were to get requests like
this almost every day then you'd be spending all your time doing
this. Sometimes a well-organized production company  sends you a
nicely spelled out license where all you have to do is add a few bits
and send it back. But often, it is left to the composer or their
representative to draft a license, and this takes time.

PUBLICITY
In my experience, very few films make it past the festival stage, or
even into any major festivals. Even when they do, the creator of the
underscore music is not usually feted (other than by other
musicians!). Yes, it is great for your resume and if you want to grow
your list of credits, but I find that directors and producers highly
overestimate the amount of publicity a composer will get for
contributing music. Composing the entire score is entirely different....

BUDGET
The budget is always tight. I've worked on some Hollywood films, and
even they claim the budget is very tight. No one wants to pay anyone
if they can help it but would they not pay their crew? What about
their lawyers? Music should be, and is, budgeted for in the
production costs, just like any other service...unless they are
clueless amateurs (in which case you should educate them).

The equation to keep in mind is: your music in exchange for X.
X = publicity, or money, or resume building, or a combination of the
three.
So think about what X is for you.

There are cases where it really is worth it to give someone music for
social, or creative, or you really love someone's movie, and in those
situations you feel good about giving your music away. Just examine
your motives and make sure that you're not giving someone your music
because you are flattered, or it makes you feel validated.

CONTRACT
A simple approach is to offer your music for a limited term festival
synchronization and master license for a small "honorarium". The
license allows them to use your music music in their film for 1 year
(or sometimes 2 years). Pricewise, a label like Nonesuch might quote
$500 per track for a 1 year festival license for a well-known artist,
and then the publisher of the song might also quote $500...for a
total of $1000. If you are both the publisher and the record label,
you can be "nice" and offer a 1 year master/sync combined for say
$400 ($200 sync + $200 master). That is my low floor. You can write
up the contract to be automatically renewable, so they pay you every
year.

What comes after a festival license is more complicated...a buy out?
Royalties per DVD? In my experience, very few films make it past the
festival stage, although every director thinks theirs will! I've had
it written up in the festival licenses that a second "option" will be
exercised if the film is bought, or it goes to dvd, etc. Sometimes
that 2nd option is spelled out in excruciating detail, and sometimes
it is just stated that a good faith negotiation will occur.

COPYRIGHTS
Make sure in any license that you are designated owner of all
copyrights and state your affilation (ASCAP, BMI, etc). Specify in
the contract how and where you should be credited. I didn't specify
this when I started out and was amazed at several films, who said it
would be great "publicity", then didn't credit me at all....so no one
knew it was me!

I work with an entertainment lawyer based in Portland named Peter
Shaver. He is very reasonable, friendly, an all around cool dude, and
specializes in working with bands on these issues. When I have
something that comes up, I just write to Peter and he can vet a legal
document or create a new one in a matter of hours.  His email is
pvshaver  (at)  hotmail.com

Hope that helps. It's in all our interests that this stuff not be
mysterious!

celloly, Zoe