Re: out of tune/noise loops

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 3:21 AM, E Gross <slapbandjam@yahoo.com> wrote:
> next thing i know, i've spent 15 min doing noise out of tune
>loops...didn't
> even know the time and i had to shut down shop and go to work...
> most fun....and i wasn't even in tune....although through fuzz, it
>doesn't
> sound that odd...kind of funny...
> happy looping...

Yes, I'm always amazed that this old cliché works so well: "Trust the
process and let it happen". When it works creating live music in this
sense it feels like you are suddenly given new senses to work through.
A wonderful thing IMO. I've found that a lot of "free music" I like
draws on some players in a band "pretending to play something
properly" while in fact leaving a lot of stuff out or phrasing notes
off beat or out of tune. The global noise effect and your poor brain
desperately fighting for reason and structure tends to glue the full
band sound together into great music *experienced* :-)

Once at a festival gig my Electrixpro Repeater got some bug and
totally changed the key of the loop I had been recording. I did not
notice this until I started to play sax and the first not I blew did
not fit the noise at all. I squeezed the mouth-piece to lift up the
note into the squeeling overnote sphere in the belief that I would
need only two seconds to get the grip of the new key and land the
overtone into a key that made sense to continue playing in. But that
did not happen. I could hear absolutely no root note or key in the
loop I was playing on top of. The only way to go ahead was to stay in
that atonal overtone area for minutes - but the cool thing was that it
sounded good even though I had no idea of what I was playing in
musical terms. This was one of those "industrial gigs inside concrete
chambers" where the sound guys crank everything, so I also had
difficulties hearing the difference between acoustic feedback in the
PA system and my own "playing".

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se