Re: Digitech JamMan, Mark-god-knows-what

At 7:32 PM -0700 5/28/10, William Walker wrote:
>The stereo Jamman is due out any day. its past due for ship date I
>believe.  From the little bit of time I spent with the Solo Jamman .
>I don't think the time stretch capability will be of a real time- on
>the fly -in performance nature.  More for after you have recorded
>and saved a loop and want to alter the tempo. Certainly not like a
>Repeater. i must admit I haven't spent that much time with it but my
>first impressions were that that was not a feature that was easily
>accessible.

Don't know about the Jamman Solo, but according to the manual for the
Jamman Stereo you can actually time stretch loops while they are
playing, as well as loops you've just recorded.  However, you are
entirely correct that it's neither intuitive nor easily accessible.

To affect loops that are playing, you're required to use an external
footswitch (the Digitech FS-300(?)) and then change the time through
using Tap Tempo on that.  The normal Tap Tempo button can be used
only to time-stretch loops that are not currently playing back.

Obviously, the issues I see with this are two-fold.  First, you've
got to buy a second widget to access the function.  Second, I've
always found using Tap Tempo for this sort of thing rather
problematic, especially during live performance.  Just gimme a knob,
already.

        --m.
--
_____
"beyond this window, night is shuddering and the earth grinds to a halt