Re: Anyone here tuning guitars in fifths?

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 12:23 AM, Philip Conway
<Philip.Conway@bristol.ac.uk> wrote:
> The all-in-one bass and baritone is a nice idea.  I'd be tempted to tune
> to E instead of C to G.  That'd eliminate any issues with string 1 being
> under too much tension (don't much like super thin strings anyway) and
> it'd
> basically give you a baritone guitar and a spanish-type guitar all in one
> (although the low C is already verging on baritone territory).

Yes, that's an option. Not for me though, as I have tried it and to my
taste a low A on a 25" scale instrument produces a too clunky sound
due to the extremely thick string related its length. I must say
though that I have had a good bass sound down at A when using flat
wound strings. That's another story though as I want to use round
wounds for this project.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.perboysen.com