Re: Musicianship, live technique, etc...

>you make an excellent point, however there has to be a balance between the
two
>we play music because we love it.....we are selfish in that regard because
>that which comes from our mouths, fingers, minds..we hopefully hold dear
>and regard as being our own! but we  must realize that this disipline is
>not just for ourselves, there are those who do not have the disipline or
>interest in making the music, however they whole heartedly wish to share
>our experience so that they can more deeply explore thier own experiences.
>I feel that we must play for ourselves because it is our own dear gift,
>however we must always remember that we are sending a message and
>providing
>a service that not only enriches our own lives, but those who believe in
>us
>as well. I play music because to do so makes me happy to be alive. However
>I always try and remember that it is my responsibility as a musician to
>touch my audience, so that they may share in that
>happiness and realize that they too..... are alive!!!!!!

bobby devito here.....i just had to add to this topic just once. i was at
an
art show recently, and came upon a most wonderful nylon string guitarist
named russell. he was REALLY playing quite well, was a soloist, and was
performing largely his own original compositions as well as a few covers in
his own style. i sat back with my slice of cheese pizza and iced tea and
just
basked in his playing for about an hour...people just walked by and for the
most part barely gave him a cursory glance, but he played like he was
onstage
at Madison Square Garden. when he took a break, i asked him how he dealt
with
the fact that many of the people at the art shows (he travels around the
country with the show) seem not even to notice his amazing music, he just
laughed..."the gods are listening", he said with a smile. "and that's who
i'm
playing for"...it kind of made me think a bit more deeply about why i do
what
i do and for whom :-)
bobby d