Re: question...

> From: Goddess <Thefates@CONCENTRIC.NET>
> To: loopers-delight@annihilist.com
> Subject: question...
> Date: Thursday, February 05, 1998 4:27 AM
>
>   This question has been a curiousity of mine for a while now, and as the
> conversation here lately has been concerned with people's feelings about
> Robert Fripp which seem to be mostly negative, I thought this would be a
> good place to ask it.
>
>   What is it concerning him that seems to upset people so?

i for one love the guy immensely - over half of my 33 years have been
greatly brightened by Crimson (now playing: larks tongues) and various
frippery, on record and onstage.

But, i must say -for me - the 10% of animus i have for RF is ONLY for the
extreme hangup about pictures, bootlegs, people not dancing when he does
'dance music', etc. Or, as someone recently posted- lecturing for 30mins or
more on the "audience's responsibilities"- He needs to chill out. OK, maybe
lets not use flash cameras. that's understandable to a degree. But - to
leave the stage in a huff - as he reportedly did in early dec in London
(ProjeKt OnE concert) - is a stretch. You're in the rock world, you're in
the public, these are the trade-offs. simple. it's not like people throw
bottles or spit at him, or yell 'freebird'.

And bootlegs?? Only the people who fanatically follow an artist even wnat
these things. So - they've already bought all the CDs, go to all the shows.
Relax. It hasn't hurt Phish or the Dead to encourage taping. In fact - i
firmly believe it helps, since people have a cheap way to turn tons of
people on to this new music.

I love his eccentric, english  humour, and dry wit when writing. and he has
been so instrumental in helping to get 'art music' respected and taken as
seriously as other 'high brow' forms of human expression. Hats off to
Fripp, but i hope he mellows out one day. There's a trade-off when you want
to be a public figure, and i fear he will never be at peace with the
randomness that brings.

my $0.08

andre'