Re: real time groove loops

Kim Flint wrote:

> And speaking of real-time Recycle, the new roland sp808 has that feature,
> or something real close. You can sample a whole breakbeat, have it chop
>it
> up and automatically assign each piece to a pad. Pretty cool!  It also
>has
> the time expansion/contraction features that let you match tempos without
> affecting the pitch.

A lot of the new Roland dance products look interesting.  There's all
sorts of hype about their product line at

http://www.rolandus.com/pr/pr.html

> >I also recall seeing an MTV news story many years ago about a guy (don't
> >recall his name) who has designed a suit that had percussion pads all
> >over it.  So he produced rhythms by striking these different pads all
> >over his body. including kick drum samples in his boot heel which he
> >triggered by stomping the ground with his foot.  Kind of a strange
> >visual spectacle...  It would definitely be more physically involved.
> >Just don't get that snare pad on your knee confused with your nose...
>
> sort of like "futureman" Wooten of bela fleck fame? or zendrum. Zendrum
> looks pretty cool, actually. I could relate to that since I'm always
> tapping out rhythms with my fingers. All that guitar technique wouldn't
>go
> to waste either....

The guy's name is on the tip of my brain, though I can't quite place
it.  His band was named after himself, or his stage moniker (which was
somewhat cheesy, I believe).  He had this vaguely Eraserhead-shaped
hairdo, too.  It must have been close to ten years ago that I saw that
story, though.  It'll probably come to me all of a sudden some time in
the future.

--Andre