Re: electronica double standard?

At 11:21 AM -0800 3/15/98, Stephen P. Goodman wrote:

>One other item about DJs that I'd found quite by mistake... There's a set
>of
>terminologies we loopers may also not be prepared for,

By "we" I guess you are not including those of us into electronic dance
music?

>if not also a
>hierarchy as well.  For instance, a browse through newsgroups will yield
>alt.musicmakers.dj.bedroom and alt.music.bedroom.producers

"bedroom" usually refers to people using home studios. I don't think
anything derogatory is meant by it, and it certainly is not limited to
people living with their parents. It's usually just a smaller scale of
operation. (but not necessarily, some people have extremely sophisticated
home studios....) I think most electronic dance music is actually produced
this way.

>Apparently there is a sub-class of
>DJing that comprises individuals who don't get Paid for DJing, and mostly
>produce recordings out of their (did you get it yet?) bedrooms.

Quite a lot of "bedroom" producers get paid very well, I imagine. It just
depends how successful their music is.

Also, a DJ and a producer are not necessarily the same thing. DJs are the
guys spinning live. Producers are the ones who create the tracks that the
DJs use. However, it is very, very common for one person to do both. That's
why you frequently see albums coming out from DJs, and producers making
appearances in clubs to spin a set. Also, in producing tracks, many people
use dj techniques in the studio for creative purposes. So it's all pretty
well mixed together.

>And, yes,
>the implication is that they live at home with the parents. I can't seem
>get a straight answer on whether that's a slight against non-established
>'acts' (if that's what a DJ 'is'), and their own professional status, or
>just a joking reference to what's probably everyone's beginnings.

I'm not really sure what what the relevance of this is. It seems to me you
are misinterpreting some usenet posts.

>Anyone here who can enlighten us on this?  Do WE perform this kind of
>cordoning-off in our own way?

Sure. "We" repeatedly assume that certain types of musicians creating with
loops are a "them" and not inclusive in "we". Some of us who repeatedly
find ourselves in the "them" category think this is really annoying.

kim