Re: THE TOP 5!

At 05:33 PM 4/24/98 EDT, KRosser414 wrote:

>Of course, the Beatles got more heavily into tape loops by way of George
>Martin's interest in musique concrete, such as the 1" tape pieces spliced
>into
>loops and used as the background for "Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite",
>and
>John & Yoko's tape collage "Revolution 9", etc.

My first-year college roomate was really into the beatles (during a time
when that wasn't particularly popular...) and gave me a pretty big dose.
"Revolution #9" had a pretty big effect on me. I hadn't heard anything like
it before, and it gave me a lot to think about! Certainly one of the first
sound-collage type looping pieces I heard. I certainly hadn't realized just
how adventurous the Beatles had been with their music.

another, similar type of track that I really liked at that time came from
an
odd source. Steve Vai's "Little Pieces of Seaweed" from an (I think)
unreleased album called "Flex-able leftovers". Extrememly warped, funny,
and
very adventurous track, with some looped sound-collage elements.

kim
Kim Flint                      408-752-9284
Mpact System Engineering       kflint@chromatic.com
Chromatic Research             http://www.chromatic.com