steinberger and GK2a

I know this may be a little off topic, but it concerns my main looping
axe-a Steinberger GM series with trans trem. I want and now can probably
afford to put in a Roland GK2A synth pickup-but where does the little
controller box go? My guitar tech says the internal version will take up
even more internal landscape than i've got. Any experiences/advise/
screams of offtopicness? any and all help/direction would be greatly
appreciated.