Finally went digital.

Dear all,

    A few questions/comments if you would please...  Just picked up the
GR-30
and I have to say that internally the voices are really pretty, and there
is
a bit of room to edit them.  Thankfully, it seems to have a similiar feel
my GR-707/700 as far as the overall editing works, so this made the
transition much easier.  Another note, took a little while to suss out a
few
of the controller's features but otherwise, it wasn't too nasty.  Set up
with
a manual is a breeze, without I dare say would be nigh impossible.  Again,
these are the first few impressions of the unit.
    Have to say that I'm looking a bit more forward to delving into the
MIDI
programming side of it, which my Casio MG-510 really does not suppourt.
Currently using a pair of different GK-2a'ed guitars, though I'll have a
RMC
equipped instrument very shortly for even more improved tracking.  The
first
is a double necked Carvin with the GK-2a on the 6-string neck which has an
older Kahler.  The second is an older Kramer aluminum necked instrument,
and
I have to say that the tracking seems to be a bit better on this one than
the
Carvin.  Yes, I've got them set up as Gt2 and Gt3 and this made the world
of
difference for tracking and tweaking purposes, though remembering how to
get
back to this area is a bit nastier than I would have liked...
    I have to say that the Guitar sound out on the Mix is wonderful, if
not a
bit brighter than what I'm used to.  Granted, everything is going straight
from the GR-30 to a Mackie board and then to a pair of Alesis RA-200's and
then to a pair of Alesis Point 7's.  There are also a few effects that are
being run through the Aux channels on the Mackie Board, now if only I
could
find a smaller board that had a few more Auxillary channels, ... sigh...

    On the question side; is it me, or is the MIDI In only for a foot
controller to control the patches, and has anyone had experience using
other
than Roland/Boss MIDI Controllers and Expression pedals?  Is there a
suitable
substitution for the Bank Shift pedals?

    On the MIDI Out, I'm finding that it is a bit slower externally
speaking
in controlling other units; specifically a Casio and a few Roland
keyboards.
But, on a much happier note, my Creative Labs SB Live! had absolutely zero
qualms in recognizing the GR-30 as did Cakewalk Pro Studio 7.0!  Nearly
felt
like I pretty much only had to plug everything in and it instantly
recognized
each other, though I did find out that a good rule of thumb is to make
sure
that the GR-30 is powered up, before you power up the computer.  Hope this
helps out.

    So, I'll give the lists a heads up on experiences and ask a few more
questions as they come up.

    Thanks again!

        Lee-ohki.

PS.  Many thanks to Jeff Collins for being patient and for shipping this
beastie ASAP.  LOL!

PPS.  Have to find out how this unit deals with a Boomerang in the Guitar
Out
Return Loop but that won't be until Friday night/Saturday morning.  :(

        L.