Re: "Double" Looper Functions?

This is exactly what the multiply function in the echoplex does. Great
idea,
but Matthias thought of it sometime around 1985! It was implemented first
in
something he hacked together out of a Lexicon PCM42, then was implemented
in
his Paradis LoopDelay in '92, then of course in the Echoplex '94.

Check out his story on the echoplex page:
http://www.annihilist.com/loop/tools/echoplex/OBechoplexhistory.html

It also lets you add material while you multiply, so it is very quick to
get
something like a 1 bar loop repeated 4 times with a 4 bar melody loop over
the top. Check it out, the function has many more aspects that allow for
all
kinds of creative use.

kim

At 09:40 PM 11/1/99 -0500, Brian Thomson, London UK wrote:
>Hi there: I've been thinking about an idea I had, which would be useful if
I were ever designing a looper (hardware or software).

>Imagine the following scenario: I have a short loop set up, filled with
suitable sounds. It would be great if it were possible to multiply the loop
in real-time, without glitching of any sort.

>So, if the original loop was 4 seconds, hitting the "double" footswitch
would immediately, seamlessly, duplicate the loop, to 8 seconds. The effect
would initially be inaudible, since I'd simply have the original loop
playing twice, but I could then add more sounds, and duplicate again if
necessary. It might even be possible to "triplicate", "octoclate" (?), etc.
by sending different controller messages.

>An alternative version might involve duplicating the audio, but within the
_same_ time, but offset by 50%. So, a note that sounded at 1 second into a
4
second loop, would be duplicated at the 3 second point.

>Comments, anyone? Or have I just restated the obvious?
>
>Brian Thomson
>bnt@email.com
>Looping: Gtr / Bass into Korg DL-8000R and IBM ThinkPad (offline looping)
>FREE! The World's Best Email Address @email.com
>Reserve your name now at http://www.email.com

Kim Flint                                408-845-6383
Manager, System Engineering              kflint@ati.com
ATI Research, Inc.                       http://www.ati.com