Re: er, zorn, bungle, bailey, brotzmann

well i agree with the concept that a studio recording is an entirely
different beast from a live concert. i often enjoy freak schtuff (e.g.
free jazz, experimental electronics) much more in concert than a
"document" of the same.

i would add another band to the list that really has it down in terms of
being able to rock in concert while still putting out great studio
recordings: MOUSE ON MARS
yes they LOOP - although not with "loopers" per se, but with
sequencer-samplers. they're very inventive and have a subtle sense of
humour. live they add a drummer to the melange and man does that
motherf*#ker rock!

in concert you've got to go for the throat a little more - someone should
tell this to tortoise! tortoise are an example of a band who can replicate
their studio recordings perfectly on stage - but with no fun. they're just
way too careful.

concerning other points:
- fred frith's guitar quartet is also great live

- bill frisell is really rockin - his chair that is
- his new material has lost its relevancy for me - as a non-american, i
really can't stand all this "americana" schtick - a little too sentimental
and nostalgic for my taste
- all that negativity said, we're all allowed to change course

blather, blather:
rob