Re: Drum machines--other neophyte questions

> > * Touch Sensitive Pads
>
> Does this mean you can control volume by how hard you tap them?   And
>does
> that
> mean you can actually "play" the DR 660 (I've been thinking of the 770,
> actually) in real (hah!) time?

Yes, the pads respond to how hard you tap them.

Yes, you can "play" the '660.

> I'd like to get a unit that allows both  programming and playing,
preferably
> with Indian/middle eastern sounds...

There aren't many built-in 'ethnic' voices, but a little tweaking in the
editing department can deliver a host of crazy sounds. Editing features
include:- Level / Pitch (huge range) / Decay / Nuance (tone) / Pan /
Polyphonic, or Mono / Sensitivity Curve (for Pads.)

Oh, and by the way, all of the TR-808 / TR-909 sounds were thrown in by
Roland for good measure (without the price tag!)

Cheers,

Lee Fletcher
http://www.waterleat.demon.co.uk