Re: Drum machines--other neophyte questions

> I'd like to get a unit that allows both  programming and playing,
>preferably
> with Indian/middle eastern sounds...

FWIW - I do this using the Ensoniq ASR-X sampler.  It has 13 pads that are
big enough to bang on and also happen to be arranged like a piano keyboard
for the occasional chord or melody.  But this happens to be a great
sounding
deluxe sampling drum machine with built in effects that can sync
modulations
or delays to tempo. I use it with the EXP-1 Real World card which has some
great African, Mid-Eastern and Asian drums among many other "world"
instruments.

It works for me because I don't use it for blistering tempo stuff like
techno
and other intense electronica. The processor on this machine really isn't
fast enough to do everything that is promised in that regard. Therefore, a
lot of disappointed kids are unloading these and moving on.  I got mine,
very
used, loaded with 34 MB of RAM (about 3-1/2 minutes of stereo sampling),
the
EXP-1 card, SCSI option, for $700! It's a great sounding sampler that
behaves
like a drum machine.

Of course, the ASR-X can LOOP the samples to keep them on-topic.

You can email me privately for more details.