Re: The Curse of Knob-Twiddling

In a message dated 12/8/00 7:11:09 PM Mountain Standard Time,
rich@nuvisionsca.com writes:

<< anyways, on their recent tour, they set up the equipment, get the
 sound going, and then come out in front of the setup where there are
 a couple of chairs, some martini's, and some cigarettes.  they just
 sit down and let the music go... >>

This reminds me of a story that I heard Robert Fripp relate about a gig
that
he
and Brian Eno played in a bullring in Spain in the early 70's (Basque
separatists
with automatic weapons greeted them at the airport upon deplaning).They
had finished actively inputing anything into the tape loop and left the
stage
for a
press box overlooking the arena whilst the tape loop played on. Peering
out
between the slats of the blinds they were noticed and a figure approached
the
box and inquired through the window in an American accent "Hey guys is the
show over?"
to which Eno replied "Well it is for us, but not for you".

As to what to do to look interesting on stage while knob twiddling......
I've heard Fripp's soundscape gigs likened to watching an air traffic
controller
at work.......minus the life and death element of chance as it were.

Live performance like print media will be seldom seen by the end of this
century.
Enjoy it while you can, as performer or audient or both.

my 2 cents
                                  b.helm