Re: QUEERY: What samplers are out there let you record and instantaneously play back from a keyboard

Hey, Rick, interesting that you should mention this.  I've been think of
building something like this for my Kyma system.  Sort of an "Instantique
Musique Concrete", eh?

Here's the interface I've been thinking about so far -

1) The beast is controlled via a standard MIDI keyboard.  (Velocity sensing
is not necessary; it can be a cheapy.)  The lowest key functions as a
RECORD/OVERDUB enable.  The next to the lowest key functions as a CLEAR.
The other keys control particular loops.

2) You record to a particular key (or loop), say middle C, by holding down
the RECORD/OVERDUB key and pressing the key, middle C in this example.  You
record as long as the key is held.  Each key "holds" its own loop.

3) After releasing the RECORD/OVERDUB key, whenenver you press middle C,
the
loop plays back.

4) If a key already "contains" a loop, when you hold RECORD/OVERDUB and
press the key again, you overdub onto the loop.  The loop length remains
unchanged.

5) The next lowest key functions as a CLEAR.  You hold it down and press
another key to erase the loop recorded to that key.

6) It's polyphonic so you can play back multiple loops.

Sound like fun?  Any comments are welcome.  For example, when triggering
loop play back, should the recording playback (and loop) only while a key
is
held down?  Or should a press-and-release trigger playback of the entire
loop?

Dennis Leas
dennis@mdbs.com