Re: Live stereo looping

I found that out of phase cancelation is much less of a problem with
a stereo mix (unless the PA is all on one side which is not realistic
on most stages).
Sure, heavy panning destroys the mix for those that listen off center
(i don't like it on CDs either), but a light panning add
intelligibility and improves the phase problem because the
cancelation of certain frequencies never hits all instruments at once.
Imagine: Full cancelation happens when the difference of distance
from the two speakers is exactly half (or 1,5...) the wave length AND
both sources arrive with the same level. So when you have most
instruments paned differently, they never cancel simultaneously while
cancelations of some details naturally add to the space experience
and do not create the "agony" as mono out of two speakers can.

Stereo looping is more complex because you do not only need a stereo
looper but pan the instruments into it. In case of a single
instrument/player it means that either the musician has to change
panning before each overdub or the mixing person has to have access
to the loop sends, which is hardly ever the case, is it?
Or you have enough loopers so the mixing person can pan the output of
each one - while you could be playing... all depends on stile,
equipment and intention

I had a pan control on the floor and operated it for a while and the
result was much better recordings (as on my CDR Jejum") but for the
public it did not make that much of a difference and I ended up
preferring to carry only one EDP and concentrate on other controls
that change sound more drastically and such express more.

Sound jumping all around the place is fun and may express something
but for most situations seems to distracting from the "real" content,
IMHO.

Mono sound from one speaker is ok, but reverb is not! To create
space, stereo is a must! A mono reverb is doing almost the opposit:
instead of opening the perception, it soups all up. So my dry signal
is often mono, but the reverb never.
And i met a lot of stereo sound systems where they have been lazy to
hook up the second output of the reverb or did not pan them right or
thought a reverb output is only stereo when the input is stereo...
--

          ---> http://Matthias.Grob.org