Re: Loopers-Delight-d Digest V01 #389

Luigi wrote:

"You could try giving a look at Behringers and Mackies (not to get back to
an ld discussion, but they are almost 90% the same)."

Please forgive me, Luigi, but I have had a very different experience with
comparing these two companies.

Behringer, of course, reverse engineered the Mackies and were successfully
sued by Mackie.  In a strange twist, Mackie has let them keep selling these
ALMOST perfect copies at 1/3-1/2 the cost of the Mackies and, I suspect,
that they are having to pay Mackie some kind of licensing
payment---although
this is mere conjecture on my part.

Where Behringer scrimped, unfortunately, are on the microphone preamps.
The
Mackies are really incredible: very low noise, high gain and very, very
transparent sounding. The Behringers are, by far, the inferior mic preamps.

When Behringer first put out their
$100, two mic preamp mini mixer I got very excited and bought one for my
pedal board for low tech blitzkreig looping gigs (one trip from the
car!!!).
I just recently
gave mine away because the mic preamps were so noisy and coloring of the
sound.  They don't even compare to the Mackies even though the boards look
identical.

Just a warning.....you frequently get what you pay for.   I actually bought
a $100 ART microphone preamp and use that to amplify my voice going into my
pedal board Line 6 which works great even though I don't think the  Line 6
was designed for this kind of application. It is pretty easy to overload
the
Line 6.

My 2 cents.   Rick Walker (loop.pool)