Re: OT: why musicians can't eat -- and why radio is so bad

RE: OT: why musicians can't eat -- and why radio is so badCertainly a point
to be made here.  I brought a bag full of my CDs into the office last week,
and one of the girls I work with took a look; it was mostly "outside"*
stuff
like Eno, an Afro-Pop sampler, some Nusrat, Glenn Branca, etc.... and my
coworker (whose musical tastes range from Dave Matthews to Ben Harper**)
just noted that she didn't recognize any of them, and that was it.  No
curiosity, no interest, nothing.

And I realize now that most of my friends and acquaintances who aren't
musicians still won't buy a CD unless they've heard a few songs from it on
the radio.  I can't even imagine how limited my listening tastes would be
if
I adhered to that rule.  So maybe most people don't Want to go looking;
maybe they figure that if it's good, it'll end up on the radio, or on MTV,
or on the cover of Rolling Stone.

Didn't John Zorn say something about this?  I read a quote wherein he
expressed his exasperation that most people who own four recordings of the
Brandenburg Concertos would sooner spend their money on a fifth recording
before they'd take a chance by spending that same money on something
unfamiliar to them.  Hmmm...

Peter

*- I meant "outside" compared to what she'd normally listen to on the
radio;
I know that Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Eno, and Branca are pop music compared
some of what you guys would bring in to work!

**-That said, there's nothing wrong with Dave Matthews or Ben Harper, or
any
pop music for that matter.  I may be stoned to death by the rest of LD for
admitting this, but I even appreciate what NSync and the Backstreet Boys
do.
And I still listen to the first Spice Girls album every now and then.