Re: OT: why musicians can't eat -- and why radio is so bad

I don;t think most people would care even if they knew programming was
controlled by only 2 coorporations.

Petrol is a dirty and polluting fuel, controlled by several very large
companies (the Bush family included :-) with several alternatives
available,
yet it is generally accepted by avant-garde musicians and 'joe public'
alike. There are not many other choices available that don't spew out
combusted gases (I guess farting on bicycle doesn't quite count) - that is
problem, though again I think most people wouldn't see it like that. Theres
very little conception in the mainstream of different ways to live, or
different ways to organise a first world 21st century country like America
or the UK or Germany.

The best 'underground' or non mainstream musicians can do is offer an
alternative I think, and its up to your own energy and desires as to how
its
dissemminated. There are always people who will walk and cycle, there are
always people who seek out unusual sounds and have exotic tastes.

Just getting close family or friends exposed to your 'weird music' may have
an enlightening or educational result, even if they don;t quite see it
quite
that :-) "ooo.....that merzbow, its awful".

As for making money from music, I guess I completey gave up on any chance
of
that happening years ago (never even tried). Earning a living from art
generally seems to involve long periods of poverty, no good if you've got
kids and mortgage.

So maybe i'm saying, quit whining, **** the radio stations and just make
good music? :-)

Jamie