Re: OT: giant pipes down Portola Avenue in Santa Cruz andothernatural reverbs

I was lucky enough to play in the small telescope dome up at Lick
Observatory with our long missing LD member Laurie Hatch. The circular
shape and dome caused the most quiet passages to sound amazingly clear.
Echo was pretty heavy as well, but you could always hear the quiet stuff
perfectly.

Miko Biffle - Miko.Biffle@asml.com
"Running scared from all the usual distractions!"

>>> tcn62@ici.net 08/21/01 03:44PM >>>
At 11:35 PM 8/20/01 -0700, you wrote:
>WHAT KICK ASS SONIC ANOMALIES DO YOU KNOW OF IN YOUR HOMETOWN........WHAT
>WIERD ASSED PIECE OF ARCHITECTURE OR SCULPTURES OR PLUMBING EXISTS TO BE
>STRUCK OR BLOWN ON OR OTHERWISE PUSHED INTO RESONANCE........

I once played an unamplified set of shakuhachi, chung yuen and native
american flute pieces in a wooden geodesic dome that had very unusual
acoustics, kind of like when you're in a planet -arium and someone on the
opposite side whispers and it can be heard clearly on the other side. It
only occured to me later that it would have been cool to walk around during
the flute pieces...

Another place near my home (Seacoast New Hampshire) where there are great
acoustics is an old WWII submarine surveillance bunker at Odiorne Point
that runs about a quarter mile underground underneath a man-made ridge.
I've never actually played an instrument in there (the authorities have
sealed it up repeatedly with cement and iron bars, so it can be kind of
inconvenient getting in) but my friends and I have often had fun with the
long natural reverb.

-t