Re: MIDI Still?

FWIW, I suspect that MIDI over the internet would be much higher
than .004 ms.

Theoretically, MIDI over a standard network transport would be
just as fast as any other data transfer.  MIDI messages are
typically 2 to 3 bytes long.  Rather teeny, so you could easily
bundle a bunch up and send them out all at once.  However, I
think the real limitations would be:

A) The Internet itself as a distributed network.  There's no
garuntee that you network packets would all arrive in the
correct order (which could be compensated for) or in a
consistent space of time.  This is because they could
theoretically be sent down any number of paths to get to the
same destination.  Streaming media gets around this by
buffering.  Buffering introduces latency.

B) The biggest problem might be that because of inherent
variable latency, (packets could take as long as 10ms to
traverse the internet, never mind the inherent latency of the
hardware midi device itself) there would be an audible lag
similar to that of satelite phone conversations, if not
necessarily so extreme all of the time, making it very hard to
jam with someone in real time, unless you were both imitating
whale songs.

I've never actually tried to do this, so it's all just my
conjecture based on what I know.

Personally, I would've loved to see ZIPI live.  Ob la di.  I
think yamaha or someone is working on a new digital standard for
transferring audio and midi data over a single high bandwidth
connection.  That might have the potential to overcome some of
the latency issues based on the fact that MIDI is a 32kps (I
think) serial protocol, and buffer overflows can still occur.
Networking is really a lot about buffers ....

Love,

Mike