EDP feedback (was Re: repeater question)

At 05:49 AM 8/26/2001, Doug Cox wrote:
>I have an EDP.  It may be a bit misleading to say that the feedback (or as
>the first msg put it, "fade level") is only applicable when the track is
>being recorded.  If I start a loop and then take the EDP out of
>recording/overdub mode (all lights green), the feedback control still
>applies to that loop.
>
>Maybe I misunderstood what you said?  Just wanted to make sure that the
>poster had a good understanding of the EDP's capabilities.

There are two ways you can have feedback control in the Echoplex. The
default way is what we call "Loop" mode. In this mode, feedback is
independent, so it is always available as a way to alter the loop, whether
you are overdubbing or not. To me, this is one of the really important
innovations that Matthias made in the basic Echoplex design, separating
his
original Loop/Delay (and then the Echoplex) away from the way delays
worked
and making feedback into a much more important control over the loops.
With
it always continuously available, you have a lot more flexibility over its
use. For example, while a loop is steadily fading out, you can be
otherwise
playing material *without* overdubbing something new (and not otherwise
needing complicated mixer setups to do this). Then, independent of the
feedback effect on your loop, you can choose when and what you want to be
adding in to the loop by turning overdub on and off. Or for that matter,
you could be using other functions like replace or whatever, independent
of
feedback. Eliminating this somewhat arbitrary connection between
overdubbing and feedback gives the Echoplex an interesting degree of
flexibility that turns out to be really useful in a live looping context.

The echoplex also has "Delay" mode, which makes it follow the old style of
feedback operation that delays always had. In that mode, the loop input is
normally open as it is in a delay, and feedback is active only while audio
is being added. (in fact, the delay input is immediately open in this case
after you set the length with the Record, just as it would be in a delay.)
In Delay mode, the Overdub button actually becomes the "hold" function
normally found in delays. When you press Hold, the input to the delay is
closed so no more audio goes in, and the feedback is set to 100% so it
repeats infinitely. Changing the feedback knob doesn't have any effect
while Hold is on. As soon as hold is turned off, feedback is active again.
That option was kept because so many people into looping were coming from
the long delay approach, and wanted to continue working in the same way.
So
fine, we give them that. Then the people ready to move on to the next
step,
or those new to the whole concept, can go on to the new way of thinking in
Loop mode.

In either case, you also have continuous, live control over the feedback,
just as it always was with delays. So at any time you can change the
feedback knob at the rate you want and hear that sweep in the next
repetition of the loop. If you want, you can pick some section of your
loop
to fade out, and another section to preserve. Each time you get to that
section you turn the feedback down some and as you get past it you bring
it
back up again. You could use this to steadily evolve only one part as the
rest remains static, for example.

This is different from some other devices that just have a small number of
discrete feedback levels that effect the entire loop. (like the jamman).
You can't really change those in a live way, you just set it and it takes
effect at the next loop repetition and the whole loop is changed. So you
can't really get smooth feedback level changes, it always goes into it
suddenly. You can't smoothly change from one feedback level to another,
you
just jump to the next discrete level. And you can't pick a section of your
loop to fade out while the rest stays unchanged. If you want that sudden
change effect, you can still do it in the Echoplex, you just have to do it
with MIDI. Feedback level can be set at any time with continuous
controllers. So you can set it to a discrete level or sweep it around with
a midi controller or whatever.

kim