Re: emmersive sound

>But I don't understand how to delay by note value. Can
>you elaborate?

Assume a delay of 1600ms will equal one measure of 4/4 time. Then 400ms
will
equal one quarter note. There are 60,000ms in one minute, so 60,000 divided
by 400 = 150 quarter notes (beats) per minute.  There's your groove. Set
one
delay for 400ms and another for 1600. One-beat delays lock in with
one-measure delays. Now let's get funky. Any 100ms subdivision of 1600 will
equal an even sixteenth note subdivision of the four-beat measure. Try
1200ms with 1600ms for a cycling three-with-four. Try 1000ms with 1600ms
for
a cycling five-with-eight.
    The only problem with setting up this kind of surround-sound delay is
the time lag introduced by sound through air. I don't know the formula
offhand, but after about two hundred feet, it is signifigant.
    At the Watkins Glen concert in upstate New York (early 1970's,
600,000-plus people) the sound techs introduced a time-delayed signal to
the
towers of speakers radiating from the stage so that it would roughly
reinforce the stage sound as it plowed through the humid summer air.
Douglas Baldwin, coyote-in-residence
dbaldwin@suffolk.lib.ny.us