Re: pioneers of electronic music

At 11:53 AM -0500 11/18/02, ArsOcarina@aol.com wrote:

>How bout James Tenney, one of the American composers who worked
>at Bell Labs from '61 to '64. Though not a common houshold word,
>he's one of my own personal favorites. Anybody who could conceive
>of rerecording Elvis' "Blue Suede Shoes" to a huge stack of IBM punch
>cards and reshuffling them to create a new piece of musique concrete
>in 1961 is cool in my book.

Jim is amazing! Unfortunately he was little-known outside a small
circle of dedicated new music practitioners, largely through a lack
of recordings.

Jim's electronic oeuvre was rather small, though highly original. A
CD collection of electronic (and player piano) works is available on
Artifact Recordings ART 1007.

I was fortunate to take a class in computer music with Jim at UC
Santa Cruz in 1976. This at least partly made up for the fact that
during his Bell Labs residency I was living less than a mile away,
completely unaware of that computer music was being invented just up
the street.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com