Re: Loop stuff

Live differs from Acid in that can be used to remix\sample live input and trigger "clips" on the fly as opposed to Acid's more paint\arrange style of working. Live is considered a live sequencing instrument by it's authors, Acid is more a linear way of working.

If your setup is up to the job you can feed live input into Live, process it with VST effects, pass it through while triggering pre-set clips or even record the live input into new clips for triggering themselves.

In the context of what I think most people are after around here with regard looping, Acid at the moment falls a tiiiiny bit short as it was designed more with DJ's in mind re the live input. But it is workable, I use it with an FCB1010 and with some routing it's possible to use it for looping live if your hardware\drivers are up to scratch. Pretty much everything is easily assignable for MIDI control.

The imminent V2 of Live has a number of nice new features that will open it up for more abuse in this area. A number of people have been asking Ableton for certain functions and they have taken quite a number of them onboard. Things like tap-tempo and resampling in a slightly different way than is possible at present.

On the face of it, it's easy to think Live and Acid are covering the same territory but when you start messing with it you realise they are actually very different in concept from a performance poibnt of view.

Hope this helps.

Link

By the way, Live v2 is out next month some time and I personally can't wait.