Re: First Excursions into Frippertronics

My first experience of Robert's Frippertronic music was
"Evening Star." I still absolutely love the title track for
it's melodicism. I also really dig the 28 minute "An Index
of Metals" for it's shear non-melodic and semi-insustrial
textures -- for 1975 it seemed quite daring for a "pop"
musician.

A Rolling Stone reviewer expressed some puzzlement at
how a single LP could contain some of the most beautiful
and breath-taking guitar solos he had ever heard on side
one only to have some of the most wretched and unlistenable
ones (in his opinion) fill up the the other side.

As far as his later "soundscapes" stuff goes, I own them all
but like "Radiophonics" best for some reason. It seems,
at once, slightly "grittier" to me and yet "orchestral" -- like
listening to an electronic Igor Stravinsky. It's less "smooth"
and "pretty" than some of the others -- and a lot "darker."

tEd ® kiLLiAn

http://www.mp3s.com/tedkillian
http://www.pfmentum.com/flux.htm
http://www.mp3.com/Ophelia_Pancake