Bidding Strategy on eBay (for loop stuff, say?)

Usually when I really want something (like my last PMC-10) I bid as much as
I can afford (in that particular instance not that much--less than $200 as
recall) fairly early in the bidding and hope for the best.  However, I have
been the victim of several last minute losses to a "slam dunk" bidder . . .
ah well, that's what capitalism is all about.
Gary
PS  Almost ready to try the new setup--doubleneck Ztar into PMC-10 into MPX
G2 into twin EDPs--lights flash, bells ring--