Intro/ zoom bfx 708 II

Hi.

I am looking at getting into live looping- I have been playing around with
software for quite a while that does some looping (not real time) and
listening to a couple of artists who use looping in their work (eg. tim
reynolds, steve lawson). I am a bass player and one of the 'budget' options
I am looking at is the zoom bfx708 II- this is an effects box with a built
in drum machine (not much use) and a sampler that samples to internal
memory
or to smartmedia cards. Has anyone used this for looping live?
Are their any alternative 'budget'options for loopers (under 300us)? I'm
not
being cheap, I live in south africa and the exchange rate makes anything
musical a bit out of our reach.

Thanks!
?eter