Kim Flint questions on your design work for the EDP

This is a post intended for Kim Flint.

Hi Kim
My name is Geoff Smith, you may have seen me on your Loopers-delight
discussion list. I am just finishing my essay on Live-Looping and perhaps
only now am I beginning to understand the world of Live-Looping and how it
has developed.

It has occured to me through the help of others (thankyou Andre) just how
important your design work (and Matthius) has been in influencing the
direction of Live-Looping.
I therefore have a few questions I would like to ask you.
I would be greatfull for any information that you give.

Yours and Matthius's design work (I don't know who thought of which bits or
whether everything u guys do is through discussion etc.) seems to have been
influenced by DJ turntablism and modern dance music. It seems to me that
you
have been responsible for translating the influence of those forms of music
into functions on the EDP to allow Live-Loopers to subject their playing to
similar processes. I am talking about the insert functions and granular
looping functions (and others!!!!!!) which I would describe as allowing the
user carry out the live sequencing and manipulation of any audio input.
This
is perhaps most obvious in the loop IV software but the capability seems to
have been their for a long time.

So what I wanted to ask you was what lead to the creation of the more
innvoative features of the EDP?

Were there definite ideas that you had in your head about the musical
implications of creating some of the functions and if so what were they. I
am alluding to the functions that have broken the mould, and moved away
from
that traditionally associated with live-looping?

How influenced were your design decisions by DJ turntabism and Modern Dance
music?

Do you see the EDP now as a live-sequencer?

Do you feel their are many users who are making musical use of the new
possibilities you have offered them? and if so who stands out and why? (I
personally think of Andre LaFosse as one of the first people I have ever
heard who essentially carries out the live sequencing of his instrument.

In what areas do you think that EDP users have yet to catch up to your
ideas
for the creative use of the EDP? i.e. what functions have you invented
which
people maybe haven't realise the musical implications of yet?

Thankyou again

Totally digging you work
And I'm just beginning to realize how much personal effort people like
yourself have put into the EDP or loopers-delight etc. (as opposed to
effort
for financial gain)
I now think of the EDP in the same value area as a new Moog synth i.e. if
you have to ask why its more expensive than a mass produced product then
you
have just missed whats right infront of your eyes and ears.
Thankyou
Geoff