[ot] Re: Trivial Question for UK Folks

hi Steve,
Do you mean pay a surchage when the stuff arrives from the US to the UK ?
I've never ordered strings and things, but occasionally I'll order CD's
from
the the US Amazon site, and I've not yet been charged any custom duties. If
you can get the people shipping to tick the 'Gift' box on the little green
customs sticker that helps too !

On the expense of stuff in the UK - you must have heard the phrase 'Rip-off
Britain' in your time here ? It's a well known phenomenon. Everything from
cars to cds' to the cost of a latte.
You can buy 6 Dunlop picks for $3.99 from Musicians friend but they cost
about 70p each in the centre of London ( $6.49 ). This kind fleecing goes
back to the days when US made stuff was hard to find. When it wasn't, you
know the 'shopkeeper' ain't going to reduce his price, esp. when people
here
continue to shell out for their overpriced gear. There's probably one of
those price fixing cartels at work, esp. in London's self styled 'Tin Pan
Alley' ( Denmark St. ). And the pound is strong against the dollar at the
moment too.

Anyway, strings, a set of D'addario 11's cost about £6, that's about $9.80.
Only $4.49 on the web from Musicians Friend.
( Is it any wonder the UK youth prefer electronic based music to 'lectric
guitar based stuff ? )

Recently, I was looking into finding an on-line US shop that will post
strings, picks etc. to the UK. Musician's Friend don't, nor do Sam Ash.
There must be a better way. If you find one let me know !

Good luck,
Andrew