Sell out...

    A question I have always wondered about is:  "Are great musicians
professionals because they are great -- or, are great musicians great
because they are professionals?"  Kind of the old chicken and egg question,
where both answers are ultimately true for different cases.

    Being a working mid-level musician has its good points and its bad
points, but it's certainly not for everybody at every stage of life.

PROS
- I can "work" (that consists of giving lessons, and playing gigs) about 20
hours a week, and get by.  That includes buying the occasional piece of
electronic music gear.  Practicing isn't working to me.
- Working that little gives me plenty of time to practice, read Loopers
Delight, and learn about whatever the hell I want to.
- When I'm at "work," I'm practicing my craft.
- Sometimes I'll get gigs where I can really let loose.

CONS
- Can't even begin to think of having a family and buying a house like
this.
- When I play a shitty gig where no one listens and the other musicians are
hacks, I feel like a whore.

    But, to me, right now, it's worth it.

-Jesse