Re: Dig if u will my research paper Chapter 3

At 12:48 PM 5/27/2003, Doug Cox wrote:
>This is an interesting point, to me, only a novice when it comes to the
>history of looping.
>
>Chapter 3 seems to indicate that Terry Riley used a device that (someone)
>was already calling an "Echoplex" in the very early 60s, and that in 1963
>he described the device to a French technician, who subsequently
>reproduced it with tape decks.  Riley then called this device a "time-lag
>accumulator", and used it on various recordings from that point.
>
>Is that accurate?  Not questioning your research, just trying to confirm
>whether your research shows that an "Echoplex" device existed first.  Is
>this the thing that Les Paul is sometimes credited with?  What Echoplex
>existed in the early 60's, that Terry Riley described... and who named it
>"Echoplex"?

Mike Battle made his first Echoplex tape delay prototypes in 1963,
according to this post:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&safe=off&selm=52nksm%24aqu%40casaba.srv.cs.cmu.edu

I would guess production would have started sometime later, so the dates
don't appear to match up quite right.

Les Paul's thing was the Les Paulverizer.

kim