Re: Dig if u will my research paper - Elephant semantics

I've been following this semantic discussion for the past couple of days.
believe we are a group divided by elephants :) [read on :]

To me I kind of think as looping as the *act* of construction, kind of like
some form of [sonic] developer.  Some people design / build schools, some
sky scrapers, some garden furniture.  If I said baldly to someone 'I am an
architect and constructor', they'd have no idea of what I design and build
but they would have an idea of the basic job that I undertake.  If I say
that I am a 'live' constructing architect they might expect me to design
and
construct a small bird table, a lean-to extension or a 48 storey office
block while they look on.  I therefore agree with the premise that looping
defines the action but stops short of full information.

In my case I would say I am a (nascent) looping percussionist, I would
define 'percussive looping' as a genre because it contains two pieces of
meaningful information (how / what).  Adding in live, while setting out the
environment in which the act takes place, still doesn't help tie it down
totally but it adds useful information.

I doubt that any of the musics played by the musicians here can be fixed in
a couple of words so that it would require no further explanation to the
unfamiliar audience. Individual tracks maybe can be defined to the artist's
satisfaction but stylistically I doubt anyone of us is totally happy with a
single word definition of what we do.
Evelyn Glennie is a percussionist, I am a percussionist, she plays marimba
don't (not can't), I play Lambeg, she doesn't (not can't :) but when I say
to someone I am a percussionist they conjure up their personal semantic
image of what a percussionist is, percussion is a relatively well-defined
thing and will have associated semantics for everyone..

If I say 'visualise an elephant' do you get an image?

I'll bet you didn't have to run thru a checklist... large grey animal with
huge ears, a trunk, tusks and a tiny wee tail, I bet you just saw an
elephant intact.  That's the beauty of semantics, we all have our own
images
and viewpoints based on our own experiences/ knowledge/ understanding and
that's what I see happening in this thread.

We all participate on LD within our own semantic understanding of what
looping is (I do anyway).  Whenever someone, anyone tries to give an
absolute definition then that will challenge existing perception, supported
by some but running counter to some / many / all others' definitions, ergo
this long thread.

'Live looping' to me is the act of looping in a performance or one-shot
environment where the loops are generated in-the-moment rather than
in-the-studio.  It clearly cannot hope to give any indication of the
instrumentation or the style of music so I would argue that it needs
qualified to give it meaning to the semantic understanding of the potential
audience. In the case of Rick's work, I have found in my explanations
regarding the forthcoming gig, it exceeds musical definition.  Rick to me
is
a live 'stuff' looper.

I would liken the definition of the noun 'looper'  to 'student' or
'mechanic',  the verb 'to loop' may be likened to any action, trade or
industry eg carpentry, shop keeping, manufacturing, all have different
types
/ levels within their definition but we 'know' semantically what happens
broadly in each instance . Looping could be a genre if we can accept
turntablism as a genre or live sampling & playback however I think it is
perhaps contrived to shoehorn it in such a manner and it still says nothing
of style.  It is a tool or an activity that is only bound by the limits of
technology and creativity.

I applaud Geoff for the work that he put into his paper, I haven't read the
full text yet but from the bits I have read, I have found it extremely
interesting and enlightening.  Almost every paper will have its opponents
and proponents, I don't know enough about looping history to make that
decision, so I support it in spite of my own ignorance because it gives me
oodles of new information.  I am enriched.

I'm enjoying following the discussion.  I doubt if this wee contribution
will add terribly.

Looking forward to ...erm....Live looping with Rick on 13 June in Belfast.

Bing bang bong...gnob gnab gnib...g n o b  g n a b  g n i b...b i n g  b a
g  b o n g  (Ok so I only have a DL-4 :) LOL

Paul
Paul Marshall
Portfolio Sound Artist
http://www.powerhaus.net
http://www.drumdojo.com
http://www.differentdrums.co.uk
NI Facilitator for the Da Capo Foundation
www.dacapo.co.uk
Drumdojo Recommended link For May 2003**
Rhythmweb http://rhythmweb.com