Re: art rock recommendations?

At 4:48 PM -0700 4/13/04, loop.pool wrote:
>Any Henry Cow/Art Bears fans out there who want to initiate a newbie?

Assuming that you're asking specifically about HC/AB disks:

Their first, "Leg End" (AKA Legend), is a little along Zappa / Hatfield
and the North lines.

Their last, "Western Culture" is very strong and instrumental. My current
fave.

Their third (or fourth, depending how you count), "In Praise of Learning",
is closer to the direction they would end up going with Art Bears. If you
like or can tolerate Dagmar Krause's voice on I.P.O.L. then move on to Art
Bears.

I would try Art Bears "Hopes and Fears" first, I guess.

Some bands in a similar dark vein:
Magma
Univers Zero
Art Zoyd