OT: Speakers for Home Rig

Hi:

I wanted to solicit opinions about the above. I currently have two speaker
environments with my home recording rig. I use a pair of Alesis powered
monitors with my PC recording setup.

I also have a mixer/power amp/speaker configuration that I use for
recording to a stand alone digital recorder. It did consist of a Behrenger
mixer, an Alesis power amp and Electrovoice Sx80 speakers.

I run my guitar amps output into the mixer along with output from an
Echoplex, drum machine and some other noisemaker stuff. I preferred
the 'PA' approach with guitar because the PA-type speakers seem to be able
to handle the volume well.

I was about to purchase a new pair of speakers such as the Peavey PR
Series PA speakers but was wondering if my assumptions about using PA type
speakers are valid. Would a pair of reference speakers (with a large
enough speaker cone) be appropriate for the home rig? I know the Alesis
reference monitors have relatively small speakers (can't remember the
size) and they seem like they wouldn't be able to handle the types of
signals from elec. guitar, etc.

Any comments or advice will be appreciated. I'm not sure I provided an
adequately explaination above.

Regards, Paul