John Abercrombie

Hi,

A while back I mentioned some tape delay looping (?) I heard by John
Abercrombie as a huge source of inspiration and some list members
(Kris Hartung, Andreas Willers) seemed very eager to know which
record that was. I couldn't remember the name of it and since it's
vinyl I didn't have it at hand (hidden somewhere among the vinyl
piles I have kept stuffed away in a corner since the turntable packed
up in 1990). Anyway, today I found the disc and it is a solo album
called "Characters" recorded in Oslo in 1977. No additional
musicians, only John playing acoustic guitar, electric guitar and
electric mandolin. As I remember it he was playing against long loops
of his own previous playing and from the sound of those loops I would
guess that he was using an ordinary tape delay (I've had a Roland
Chorus for many years, playing around with its Sound-On-Sound
button). Nothing at the record cover says if a studio multi tracking
machine or a tape delay was used for the layering.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen (got-to-get-me-some-vinyl-player)
---
http://www.looproom.com (international)
http://www.boysen.se (Swedish site)
http://www.cdbaby.com/perboysen