Re: Online music hosting

"Tim Nelson" <psychle62@yahoo.com> put forth:
> For one, you're signing over the ownership of anything
> you post: "By posting Content on any public area of
> MySpace.com, you automatically grant as well as
> represent and warrant that you have the right to grant
> to MySpace.com, an irrevocable, perpetual,
> non-exclusive, fully paid, worldwide license to use,
> copy, perform, display, and distribute such
> information and content to MySpace.com and that
> MySpace.com has the right to prepare derivative works
> of, or incorporate into other works, such information
> and content, and to grant and authorize sublicenses of
> the foregoing"...

In other words, mp3.com Mark II.  As if any person who created their own
original material would want to give it all up for nothing, so someone
else
could exploit it no matter what you do.  Isn't the arrogance of music biz
lawyers astonishing at times?

> Also, "You may not include in your Member profile any
> telephone numbers, street addresses, last names, URLs
> or email addresses" would seem a bit restrictive to
> those of us who when posting said gig info do include
> our last names in our billing (as opposed to 'Tiffany'
> or something) or who would like to use the site to
> actually sell a cd.

It's how they obtain exclusive rights-by-proxy to a poster's material,
while
claiming to have "non-exclusive" license to use it.

Obvious that some folks haven't given up on the idea of stealing from
artists, while claiming to protect themselves from being stolen from.
They're not dead yet, alas.

Stephen Goodman
* Cartoons about DVDs and Stuff
* http://www.medialinenews.com