(not so much gig spam as) Looping as Filler

This isn't the first time this has happened to me, so
I'm betting some of you have had this experience:

A couple of days ago, I got a call for a (non-looping)
gig this coming Saturday evening, playing bass with a
sort of prog/folk act in town from New Jersey.
(Outdoor show on the Foreside waterfront in Kittery,
Maine, just across the bridge from downtown
Portsmouth, NH, for those who might be interested,
although I don't yet know the exact times...) After
making sure that the material I'd have to learn would
be overnighted in time, I agreed to do it.

Then, at the end of the phone conversation, the
request was made "Oh, yeah, and could you do a set of
that cool loop stuff I saw you do solo a couple of
years ago?" (He was refering to a show he'd seen in
which I was using quite an elaborate rack and
multi-pedalboard setup and looping guitars, flutes and
theremin, NOT bass.) I told him that I really didn't
feel like toting two rigs, but that I'd maybe put
together a SMALL pedal-based thing and incorporate a
loop spot or two into his set.

Does this sound familiar? How many of you have ever
been requested to do your "loop thing" out of context?

-t-