Re: Fahey, was Re: Nature of Reality

The elegy was a good read...thanks for sharing it. I learned a lot about a
great man.

My first Fahey exposure was ads for his LPs in Guitar Player magazine in
the '70s and early '80s. In 1986 I was working at Newbury Comics in Harvard
Square and all the Fahey LPs were priced around  2 bucks each, maybe a
third of what all the other platters were going for. So I bought 4 or 5 of
his...it was all they had, and all I could afford. "Railroad" kicked my
ass, esp. the liner notes, as did "Christmas with John Fahey." His stuff
moved me as surely as Kottke's "Burnt Lips" (a very human record, one of my
"desert island 10"). Then I met a
critic/composer/multiinstrumentalist/Faheyite named Michael Bloom back in
1991 (he has been in my band since 1994) and through Bloom's later
membership in Cul de Sac (he played on their "Crashes to Light" disc) I
found out about the Fahey-CdS collaboration "The Epiphany of Glenn Jones."
Oh...My...God. It was even more of a fever dream than their other stuff, so
imbued was it with Fahey's ingeniously un-sane Faheyness.

No, this is not nearly as interesting as the great "I saw him back in 1971"
stories I've read here, but the man's music moved me so much that I felt
compelled to speak. Of the several hundred great guitarists I could name,
he is in my top 20, perhaps even my top 10, and he will stay there.

~Tim Mungenast