Re: The Live Looping Community: myth or reality

   Being of an anarchistic temperment,I'm sorry to hear calls for a strong
leader. There certainly are  big differences between virtual communities
and
physical ones.The sort of community feeling available in small college
towns
is no longer normal for modern humans.It apperas it will continue to
become
less so as earth gets more crowded-unlsess something drastic happens.The
downside of the small town community is that one tends to get expected to
continue playing ones familiar role,this is not as bad in college towns
with
an annual turn over of population and cultural events,in some  small towns
it's  stifling. Online people are much freer to try out or express ideas
and
opinions that they might feel more cautious about in person.I think the
sort
of online community that has been developing here is really valuable  in
learning how to make technology personal.We explore( among other things)
the
nature of good design in this forum and designing technology well is, in
my
view ,crucial to our survival. As we do this in a nonhierarchic way we
create more possibilites which can play out in other realms,not just
artistic.