Re: OT: ASCAP/BMI and music licensing

Playing devil's advocate... And I'm not sure why I am,
because I've been directly affected by this situation
personally - my favorite venues in which I play
regularly at one time or another have been hunted down
by the ASCAP / BMI reps, and the result was that the
venues eliminated music completely for a time rather
than pay ludicrous fees.

On to my point: a coffeeshop is a business.  Music
acts (or other attractions) are designed to bring more
heads in the door to buy more product.  If they
didn't, the shop most likely wouldn't have those
attractions (as long as the musicians are being paid -
if they're playing for free then all bets are off ;).

I don't think that having two fewer tables available
for the evening is going to have the affect you
mentioned.  Even if the musician doesn't personally
bring in a crowd, it's likely (if they're any good)
that they will at least retain the crowd that comes in
the door long enough to buy an extra drink or two
while they're there.  The theory also assumes that
every table would be filled for the entire evening,
which doesn't seem likely to me.

Just thinking out loud.  =)

Mike

Yahoo! Mail